Apart from one daughter who loathes them, we are a household full of banana lovers. They are a pantry staple we are almost never without. On the rare occasion that bananas over ripen and need to be used, I turn to my favorite banana bread/muffin recipe. The sweetly spiced nourishing treat tastes AMAZING! They are quite simple to prepare and would be a hit at any July 4th celebration!
Let’s talk nutrition: This relatively low calorie vegan recipe is baked without the butter and eggs found in a traditional banana bread. Additionally, it has no cholesterol. Vegan cuisine = all plants = no animal products = no cholesterol…ever! The nutritional comparison of this vegan recipe to a traditional one is located below. And if you would like to learn more about the health benefits of bananas beyond their high potassium content, read here.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
1½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (Be sure to use pastry flour here. It is great to have in your pantry as it replaces, in baking, white processed all purpose flour.)
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cardamom
1 cup very ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
¼ cup almond milk
¼ cup canola oil
¼ unsweetened applesauce
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup semi-sweet non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan or mini muffin pan*.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas, almond milk, canola oil, applesauce and brown sugar until well blended.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips to evenly distribute.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf or muffin pan.
- Bake in oven for 42-46 minutes (loaf)/12-16 minutes (mini muffin) until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Run a knife along the edge of the loaf/muffins. Remove from the pan and allow to cool fully on a cooling rack before slicing.
* If you are in the market for a new muffin pan, this one is excellent. No need for liners; the muffins/cupcakes just pop right out. I share this simply as an unbiased kitchen tip…I don’t have any kind of agreement with Calphalon.
Nutritional Comparison (one slice)
|Fiber (g)||Cholesterol (mg)||Calories|
|Beantown Kitchen’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread||3||0||208|
|Standard Chocolate Chip Banana Bread*||2.7||62||378|
* Recipe and nutritional analysis on www.AllRecipes.com
With warmest wishes xoxo,
© 2015 Beantown Kitchen- Reprint only by permission of the author