I love this pesto recipe and I’ve been asked for it so often, I decided it would be easiest to put it on my site. I love to toss it with a whole grain pasta, tomatoes and my cashew parmesan to make a simple, healthy and dairy-free dish.
The vegan pesto is quite simple to make in a food processor or blender and obtains its cheesy flavor from vitamin b rich nutritional yeast combined with the umami flavor of miso paste. Walnuts provide a richness and basil adds a freshness with slight sweetness.
The pasta is amazing with a sprinkle of this plant-based cashew parmesan. This plant-based parmesan is a great topper for pizza, salads, avocado toast and pasta in general.
The best part about the pesto and parmesan is they are made from totally whole foods plant based ingredients. This means they are high in dietary fiber, devoid of highly processed ingredients and cholesterol, high in antioxidants and phytonutrients, and totally health promoting. Hope you enjoy and be sure to let me know how you like the recipes in the comments.
With warm wishes to you xo,
Pesto Pasta with FreshTomatoes
For Everything but the Pesto
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 14 oz pasta e.g. spaghetti, fettuccini, penne or ziti
For the pesto
- 6 cups ( 4 oz package) cups fresh basil leaves stems removed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs light colored miso
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup Beantown Kitchen's cashew parmesan optional
- Boil a large pot of water and then cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a blender or food processor, blend basil (except for a few leaves set aside for garnish), garlic, walnuts, miso, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain in a colander and return to the cooking pot or a large serving bowl.
- Toss in the pesto and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve garnished with basil, cut into thin ribbons and a sprinkle of Beantown Kitchen's cashew parmesan, if desired.