A vegan lasagne? I know what you’re thinking. How is that possible without dairy? No mozzarella, no parmesan, eggs or ricotta?
I’m hear to tell you that not only is it possible…it is down-right amazing!
I’m excited to share this recipe with you. It’s perfect for a summer gathering or a hearty/cozy fall and winter meal. It feeds a crowd. It’s perfect for a pot-luck event, movie night with friends, or game night.
This recipe requires a few steps. Some chopping and dicing, some sauteing and layering. Nothing is difficult. The time you put in will be well worth your effort. Your friends and family will thank you for it.
This is a super healthy and filling entree packed full of vitamin and mineral rich vegetables.
For an oil-free, whole foods plant based heart-healthy lasagne, saute the vegetables in water. It works! Oil is not necessary for sauteeing. These vegetables were cooked with water!
This recipe is dairy-free contains, no cholesterol at all, and the delicious ricotta is made from protein and fiber-rich tofu. It is seasoned with spices and b12 rich nutritional yeast (if fortified)…the key to incorporating a cheesy flavor.
Mashed together the ricotta makes the perfect lasagne filling.
From there, it’s all about layering and baking. Use no-boil lasagne noodles to save time. Just be sure to cover them generously in sauce. Gluten-free lasagne noodles? No problem.
Top it with this FABULOUS Cashew Parmesan and then garnish it with cilantro.
This truly is an amazing, HEALTHY, crowd-pleasing lasagne!
It’s flavorful. It’s cheezy. It’s satisfying. It’s protein rich and calcium rich,
It’s whole foods plant based which means it has all of the components of a cancer and diabetes disease risk minimizing diet. Try it! You must experience the wholesome deliciousness for yourself!
- Large saute pan
- 9x13 or 10x14 Lasagna pan
Ingredients for the vegetable layer
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or water)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced about 2 cups
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 16 oz sliced cremini, shitake or white button mushrooms
- 3 cups corn, fresh, canned, or frozen and defrosted equivalent of 2 - 15 oz. cans
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for the tofu ricotta layer
- 2 14 oz packages firm tofu, drained
- 1 ⅔ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
Ingredients for layering lasagne
- 16 oz no boil lasagne noodles
- 2 25 oz jars marinara sauce
- 1 15 oz can marinara sauce
- 1 recipe Beantown Kitchen's cashew parmesan (or store bought vegan mozzarella) https://beantownkitchen.com/cashew-parmesan/
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
For the vegetable layer
- In large pan, heat olive oil or water over medium high heat.
- Saute onions for 5 minutes with a pinch of salt adding more water, 2 tablespoons at a time, if necessary.
- Add garlic to the pan and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and mushrooms , salt and more water if necessary.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes until liquid from mushrooms has been released and mostly cooked off.
- Stir in the corn and spinach and saute for a minute or so until the spinach has just wilted.
For the tofu ricotta layer
- In a large bowl, use a potato masher or strong fork to blend all of the ingredients.
For layering the lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line the bottom of a 9X12 or 10X13 (preferable) baking dish, with marinara sauce. Be sure, when layering the lasagne, to reserve enough sauce to cover the top layer of noodles.
- Top with a layer of noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and a layer of sauce. Repeat this step two more times.
- Top with a final layer of noodles and remaining sauce.
Baking the lasagne
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and top the lasagne with cashew parmesan or vegan mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, slice and enjoy.