This FABULOUS dish is a must try for anyone who thinks tofu is unappealing, mushy and bland. The pressing method is the trick for creating the crispy texture and the spices totally transform the tofu’s flavor from blah to addictive. You’ve been warned.
Best Crispy Tofu
- 1 14 oz package firm tofu
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp high heat oil such as grapeseed or sesame
- Open the tofu package and press in a tofu press.
- Alternatively, wrap the tofu into one or two clean kitchen towels.
- Place on the kitchen counter or a cutting board and then pile a few heavy books on top of the wrapped tofu. Leave for 15 minutes. This method presses the liquid out of the tofu and is the key to obtaining crispiness when fried. A lot of water will be pressed out of the tofu, so this may best done near the kitchen sink.
- Once pressed, dice the tofu into approximately ½ inch cubes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu to the bowl and toss to coat evenly with the spices.
- In a medium, heavy-bottom sauce pan (cast iron works best), heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the tofu and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning the tofu frequently until each side is browned and crispy.
- For a no-oil option, bake the tofu on a silicon sheet or parchment paper at 375 F for 20-25 minutes until crisp.