This is a recipe for a gluten-free and vegan Mexican Kale Salad with Black Beans and a Maple Lime Vinaigrette. It is one of my favorite salads as it is so easy-to-prepare, flavorful and satisfying. It uses a technique that my daughter calls “life changing”. Massaging the kale transforms the greens from bitter and grassy to tender and slightly sweet.
This image shows the massaged kale and the rest of the ingredients prepped and ready to be tossed in.
On my YouTube Channel, I demonstrate the preparation of this salad and discuss its nutritional content. It is protein, calcium and iron rich and relatively low in calories.
You can watch the video here:
And here is the recipe. I hope you love it!
If you make it and take a photo, please share on instagram and tag me @beantownkitchen. I’d love to see your creation.
Mexican Kale Salad
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ⅛ tsp salt or more, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup small diced red onions
- 1 cup diced bell pepper diced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup diced fresh mango
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded and diced peeled, seeded and diced
- ¾ cups frozen corn (thawed) sweet or fire roasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pepita seeds optional, for garnish
For the dressing
- In a glass jar or medium bowl, shake or stir together the dressing ingredients.
For the rest of the salad
- Place the kale in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the kale. Massage with your hands for 1-2 minutes until the kale begins to soften.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Serve topped with pepita seeds if you are using.