No Bake Gluten Free Brownies
It’s a beautiful day here in Boston. It’s a winter (almost spring-time) wonderland. The streets are quiet and it’s a perfect day to make my favorite no bake gluten free brownies.
They are so easy to make. The require no baking at all.
The ingredients are:
Ground Flax Seed
Dairy-free Chocolate Chips (optional)
Preparing the No Bake Gluten Free Brownies
All of the ingredients except the chocolate chips, are mixed together in a food processor until a unified mass is formed. It will look something like this.
If your mixture doesn’t come together like this, your dates might have been a little less moist than mine. You can add a little maple syrup, brown rice syrup or agave and process the mixture a bit longer until it comes together.
Once it does, use the back of a spoon or a pastry roller to press the mixture into a 8 x 8 inch pyrex dish. Place the dish in the freezer to firm up for an hour or so and then remove and cut into 16 even brownies. These can be kept in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer.
No Bake Gluten Free Brownie Video
Here is a video showing the preparation of the brownies as well as a discussion of the nutritional content of these brownies vs a non plant-based brownie.
Suffice it to say that the plant-based brownies are:
Lower in Calories and Saturated Fat
Higher in Protein, Calcium and Iron
Higher in healthy Omega 3 fatty acids
Completely devoid of cholesterol
Higher in Dietary Fiber
With warm wishes to you-
No Bake Gluten Free Plant Based Brownies
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups pitted dates roughly chopped, preferably very moist Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup non-dairy semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- In a food processor blend all of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, until well combined and sticky.
- If the mixture does not come together into one mass, add maple syrup, agave or brown rice syrup, 2 teaspoons at a time and process until incorporated. Repeat until mass is formed.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times until the chips become somewhat incorporated. Some pieces will remain whole and on the surface of the mixture.
- Press the mixture into an 8x8 baking dish. Use the back of a spoon or a pastry roller to smooth out and even.
- Freeze for about an hour until firm. Remove from freezer and cut into 16 even pieces.