This Quinoa Salad with Zucchini, Sweet Potato and Apricotsis perfect any time of year but a fabulous Passover dish as well.
Quinoa Salad with Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes and Apricots
This protein rich, vegan salad is hearty and filling enough to eat as a main course. If you can find Japanese sweet potatoes, use them. They add a complexity of flavor and texture that truly enhances the salad.
- 1 2 quart saucepan
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 serving bowl
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1¾ cup water
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1 medium Japanese sweet potato or sweet potato
- 2 scallions
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup parsley + 1 tbsp for garnish
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1¾ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp agave or other sweetener
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili flakes optional
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon sheet or parchment paper. Trim the end of the zucchini. Cut lengthwise into three to four ½ inch wide strips. Place on the baking sheet, flesh side up.
- Chop the sweet potato into small ½ inch dice. Place on the baking sheet with the zucchini. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-24 minutes until the sweet potatoes have cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool.
- While the vegetables are roasting, rinse and drain the quinoa. Place 1¾ cups of water into a 2 qt saucepan. Add the rinsed quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Once cooked, remove to a large serving bowl and let cool.
- While the vegetables and quinoa are cooking, trim the ends of the scallions and thinly slice. Then roughly chop the pistachio nuts, apricots and parsley.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mix the dressing ingredients including the chili flakes, if using. Pour them over the cooled quinoa and stir to mix.
- Chop the cooked zucchini into ½ inch pieces.
- Now add the zucchini, sweet potato, scallions, pistachios, dried apricots and parsley to the serving bowl. To finish, mix thoroughly to combine all of the ingredients.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!