Hello Dear Reader-
This delicious Buddha Bowl is very flavorful, filling and highly nutritious.
My husband and I love it after a work out or a race. It is rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients and all of the anti inflammatory plant foods in the bowl help to quicken recovery rates between workouts. This allows for harder training. Don’t be fooled by this athletic sounding lingo, though. I’m not much of an athlete- but my husband is- and I’ve learned from him.
I did, however, compete in my first Triathalon recently and I won!!! Not literally, of course, but a personal win nonetheless. You can read about it here.
Anyway, the Buddha Bowl is a low calorie, health promoting whole foods plant based recipe. It is nutrient rich with:
Calories: 376 kcal
Protein: 9.5 g
Calcium: 131 mg
Iron: 3.6 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg
It is made with a few ingredients that I love to prep “in bulk” and then have on hand to mix and match in different dishes throughout the week. Here are the ingredients:
Brown Rice – make a batch and keep some in the fridge and some in the freezer. Use it for salads, stir fries, curries and burgers.
Beets, Carrots and Sweet Potatoes – wash, peel, dice, chop and cook (if needed) your vegetables ahead of time and in large batches. Use some now and store some for later. If you have prepped veggies on hand, you are more apt to eat them.
Greens- wash, dry and chop kale, romaine, arugula and collard greens. They will keep in an airtight container for days. This takes the chore out of prepping your greens when you are hungry and/or in a rush and will allow you to create meals in minutes.
This salad, is wonderful paired with my Tangy Tahini Sauce.
It offers a nice balance with the sweet flavors of the beets and sweet potatoes.
You can watch a video demonstrating the preparation of the Recovery Buddha Bowl and Tangy Tahini Sauce here:
And here is the recipe:
Recovery Buddha Bowl
- 3/4 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet potato cooked and cubed
- 2 tablespoons beets cooked and cubed
- 1/4 cup carrots diced small
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 3 tablespoons Tangy Tahini Dressing
- hot sauce to taste
- In a medium bowl add the brown rice, romaine, sweet potato, beets and carrots.
- Heat in microwave until just warmed. Time will vary depending on the power of your microwave.
- Dress with the Tahini Sauce.
- Garnish with the cilantro along with some hot sauce to taste.