Red Lentil and Spinach Dahl
Flavorful and comforting, this easy to prepare Dahl is a fabulous, healthy Whole Foods Plant-based entree.
- Large pot
- 2 cups red lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp peel and grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup carrots diced small
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4½ cups water
- 3 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 handfulls baby spinach chopped
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley optional, for garnish
- dried red chili flakes optional
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ¼ cup of water and saute the onions for about 5 minutes until softened adding more water if necessary.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute. Stir continuously to toast, but not burn, the spices.
- Add the carrots, lentils, zest, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to summer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have softened. Depending on your lentils, you may need to simmer for a shorter or longer time.
- Once softened, stir in the lemon juice and spinach. The heat of the Dahl will wilt the spinach.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley and dried red chili flakes, if desired. Serve with a side of brown rice or coconut brown rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Made this simple and delicious recipe for my family. Received a thumbs up. And we all LOVED the Spicy Nuts or Seeds. Have made it twice!!
Oh I’m so glad! Those nuts and seeds are totally dish transforming. We love them too!