Red Lentil and Spinach Dahl
Flavorful and comforting, this easy to prepare Dahl is a fabulous, healthy Whole Foods Plant-based entree.
- Large pot
- 2 cups red lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp peel and grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup carrots diced small
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4½ cups water
- 3 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 handfulls baby spinach chopped
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley optional, for garnish
- dried red chili flakes optional
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ¼ cup of water and saute the onions for about 5 minutes until softened adding more water if necessary.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute. Stir continuously to toast, but not burn, the spices.
- Add the carrots, lentils, zest, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to summer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have softened. Depending on your lentils, you may need to simmer for a shorter or longer time.
- Once softened, stir in the lemon juice and spinach. The heat of the Dahl will wilt the spinach.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley and dried red chili flakes, if desired. Serve with a side of brown rice or coconut brown rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!