Shroomy Tofu Scramble
This is a protein-packed, flavorful breakfast dish, served alone or in a wrap to make a filling burrito.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 10 oz button or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 16 oz package firm or extra-firm tofu drained
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup fresh basil sliced into chiffonade
- Optional hot sauce, diced avocado, diced tomato
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 4-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7 mins or until the moisture is released, cooked off and the mushrooms begin to brown.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, in a medium bowl, crumble the tofu with your hands or fork, maintaining some larger chunks. Stir in the nutritional yeast, salt, black pepper, turmeric, cumin and smoked paprika until well combined.
- Stir the crumbled tofu mixture and kale to the pan and cook for about 2-4 minutes until the tofu is heated through and the leafy greens have wilted. Stir in the basil.
- Serve with hot sauce, avocado and diced tomatoes if desired.
This recipe is adapted from Colleen Patrick Goudreau's Tofu Scramble in her The Vegan Table cookbook.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!