- 1 – 16oz. package firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup chopped diced yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 10 oz button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced (for serving)
- Sriracha or Frank’s Red Hot (for serving)
In a medium bowl, crumble the tofu with your hands or a potato masher. Add the cumin, paprika, turmeric and nutritional yeast and stir to combine. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add two tablespoons of water, onions, peppers and a pinch of salt. Sautee for 3-5 minutes or longer until the onions are translucent, adding a few splashes of water if necessary. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper, and cook until most of the water has been released and cooked off.
Add the garlic and sautee stirring for about 1 minute. Be careful the garlic doesn’t burn.
Add the crumbled tofu and toss until heated through. Toss in the kale and basil and heat until just wilted.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with avocado and hot sauce, if desired.
? 2016 Beantown Kitchen- Reprint only by permission of the author