Chickpea Salad with Grapes and Walnuts
I love this healthy and delicious chickpea salad.
It’s a veganized version of a popular ’80s tarragon chicken salad made that I made pounds of each day while working in a Gourmet take-out shop in Washington, DC. That dish is to 80s food as neon and big hair is to 80s style. A cliche from the 80s yes, but delicious in its updated, plant-based iteration, nonetheless.
The salad looks grown-up and sophisticated served on endive spears.
Serve on a Salad or in a Sandwich
A scoop in a salad adds heartiness and pizzaz.
It’s amazing sandwiched between bread with some onion slices, lettuce and tomatoes.
One great salad, lots of option. Enjoy!
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1½ cup cooked chickpeas)
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- ⅔ cup grapes, halved or quartered (if they are very big grapes)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried` ``
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: endive spears or your choice of bread for serving
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the chickpeas until no whole pieces remain. Half pieces are fine. Don’t mash into hummus.
- Mix dressing ingredients together and pour over chickpeas.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Serve over salad, on bread, toast, in endive spears used as cups, or anyway you like.