I’ve heard that Americans love our food to be burned. While I’m not sure I agree that’s precisely true, we do love dishes that have been charred, barbecued and most certainly crispy. So in that sense, these hash browns, made on the waffle iron, are a good-old American style dish. I give them a Mexican flair with the addition of salsa and avocado.
I made this video demonstrating the preparation of the simple Crispy Hash Brown Potatoes.
And here is the recipe.
Easy Vegan Crispy Hash Brown Potatoes
- 20 oz shredded hash brown potatoes frozen
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 ripe avocado diced
- Heat waffle iron on high heat.
- Spread hash browns onto waffle iron.
- Close lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until most of the steam has dissipated and potatoes are no longer sticking to the top of the iron.
- Remove crispy hash browns and spread with salsa and diced avocado.
- Optional: Top with diced onions, black beans, refried beans, cilantro, pumpkin seeds or others of your choice.