I’m often asked what I eat for breakfast. The typical American breakfast tends to focus on some type of animal product, whether it’s eggs, dairy, bacon or sausage. So, I understand the curiosity about my vegan diet.
I recently received an email from one of my YouTube viewers who shared that she’s been eating a plant-based diet for more than a month now and enjoying lots of oatmeal for breakfast but is at a loss for other breakfast ideas. Well for a start, that’s totally awesome that she’s been eating a plant-based diet. It’s certainly health promoting, great for the planet and the animals. And oatmeal for breakfast is a great way to start the day. It’s so rich in fiber, heart healthy and may even be beneficial for weight maintenance as it helps us to feel full faster and for longer periods of time.
Avocado Toast is an easy to prepare and delicious breakfast dish. Not only that, it is a healthier alternative to breakfast dishes commonly eaten in a Western diet. In this chart I compare the nutritional value of three different dishes.
|Avocado Toast (whole grain)
|Bagel(whole grain) and Cream Cheese
|Fried Egg and Toast (whole grain)
Plants contain dietary fiber and animal products do not. 97% of the US population does not consume the recommended amounts of fiber. This is one of the benefits of a plant-based diet. It is very rich in fiber. Conversely, plants are complete devoid of cholesterol. Animal products do contain cholesterol. So, unlike the bagel and egg dish, the avocado toast does not contain any cholesterol at all. It contains healthy fats that may be beneficial for absorbing fat soluble vitamins.
So here is the recipe and if you would like to see me prepare this dish:
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon onion finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3-4 slices whole grain bread toasted
- Peel the avocado and remove the seed. In a small bowl, mash the avocado. Add the onion, salt and crushed red pepper and mix to combine.
- Spread two tablespoons of the avocado mixture on a piece of toast. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Garnish to your taste. Some garnish suggestions are salad greens (such as arugula), fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes and lime slices.