How much do you love hummus? If you are like many people I speak to, hummus may just be one of your top ten favorite foods. That’s a great thing. The base of hummus is made from chickpeas. They are a super health-promoting food and are an excellent source of protein, iron, zinc, dietary fiber, and choline.
Many hummus recipes require a significant amount of oil. I love this oil free version for a few reasons. Why? Firstly, oil is pretty much devoid of nutrients. Secondly, It has about 125 calories for one tablespoon alone. Imagine a hummus recipe with 1/4 cup of olive oil. That’s 500 calories just from the oil.
This oil-free hummus whips up smooth and creamy because of one magical liquid ingredient: aquafaba. That’s the chickpea water or brine packed with a can of chickpeas. Or it’s the liquid left over after you boil or pressure-cook chickpeas. It’s a magical ingredient because it’s a great vegan egg replacer in mayo. Additionally, it’s turning up in all sorts of dishes these days including sweet treats like meringues cookies, fudge, and pavlova.
i’m sharing this very basic hummus recipe and you can jazz it up any number of ways. The recipe is also amazing with some garlic and fresh dill blended in. Therefore, I’ve listed those ingredients as optional below. Keep it simple or add some zing and a twist.
If you try the hummus, let me know in the comments how you like it. Alternatively, I’d love to know your favorite hummus flavors. Roasted red pepper, avocado, sweet potato, olive, beet, artichoke hearts? Help me get my recipe development juices flowing. I’m always looking for updated takes on old recipes. Thanks in advance!
Simple Oil-Free Hummus
- food processor
- 1 - 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained or 1? cups cooked chickpeas (in both cases save 3 tbs. of the chickpea water)
- 1½ tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp chickpea water more or less to reach desired consistency
- 1 clove garlic and/or 2 tbsp fresh dill, optional
- Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika
- Blend all ingredients together (including garlic and dill if using), in a food processor, for about 5 minutes to achieve smooth and creamy texture.
- Add more aquafaba 1 tbs at a time (if necessary) to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika.