One of Our Favorite Sandwiches
This easy Vegan Tempeh BLT sandwich is on the regular rounds at my house at lunchtime. We are huge tempeh fans! The sandwich is packed with smoky, maple tempeh flavors, creamy avocado, lettuce and tomato and vegan mayo or hummus if we’re up for a lower fat, less processed spread.
What is Tempeh
Tempeh is made from cooked and fermented beans, sometimes with the addition of grains. Most commonly it is made from fermented soybeans. One of my favorite brands is made with soy and the addition of rice, barley and millet. Tempeh is common in Indonesian cuisine.
There are a variety of brands on the market. This Lightlife brand is one of them that is commonly carried in supermarkets.
How to Make Tempeh Bacon
Tempeh bacon is pretty simple to make or you can purchase it ready made at many supermarkets. If making it yourself, follow my recipe for this easy and delicious Tempeh Bacon.
Other Easy Vegan Tempeh BLT Sandwich Components
In addition to tempeh bacon, the sandwich is layered with sliced ripe tomatoes and avocados, lettuce, and hummus or vegan mayo. We love it sprinkled with some salt, pepper, a dash of liquid smoke and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Filling and Flavorful and Nutritious
Tempeh is particularly filling and satisfying and the whole sandwich is packed with protein, calcium, antioxidants, phytonutrients and is relatively low in saturated fat and completely devoid of cholesterol. When you are looking for “chew” in plant-based cuisine, something hearty to bite into, a Tempeh BLT is just the right thing.
Easy Vegan Tempeh BLT
- 2 slices toasted whole wheat bread I love Ezekial 7 Sprouted Grains
- ½ avocado peeled, depitted and sliced
- 4 slices store bought or Beantown Kitchen's Tempeh Bacon See notes for recipe link
- 2 slices from medium sized tomato
- ⅓ cup chopped romaine lettuce
- salt, pepper, liquid smoke to taste
- 1½ tbsp hummus (or vegan mayo)
- squeeze of fresh lemon
- Assemble all of the ingredients, except the hummus and lemon, on top of one piece of toast.
- Spread the hummus onto the other slice of bread. Top with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Place this piece of toast on top of the layers.
- Press down, secure the ingredients and slice. A long toothpick may help to secure the halves in place.